Monday, August 3, 2009

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth

Dan Miller brought this up the other day...well not this verse specifically, but it stuck with me. Like when someone is reading a whole page but a single sentence sticks in your head and resonates like a broken record. Anyway he suggested that every time the word 'love' appears in 1 Corinthians 13, to replace it with your name...i.e. Britta is patient, Britta is kind (it's ok to laugh, especially at patient. I already know.) And by the time he got to verse 6 I already knew I had plenty to work on, but when I mentally formed "Britta does not delight in evil..." I stopped. No, of course I don't cheer up when I read the paper and find that someone was raped or stolen from. But I was sad to discover I was still hurting and holding that against someone. As a result, I wanted him to suffer at least a little. It only seemed right that he should, rather than getting everything he wanted and home free after what he did. But we are all full of mistakes. How can I hesitate to forgive when God has so readily forgiven me of more? It bothers me that my heart refuses to let go. Not only because it allows the pain to continue, but also because I know it is far from how God treats us. God can use any trial, but I think it makes it more difficult if I am reluctant to let Him. Without grace I would be nowhere, so I want to extend as much grace as possible to the people He's placed in my life. I want to rejoice with the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment