Thursday, May 7, 2009

hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die...life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly

I do not underestimate the importance of dreaming, so here is a list of at least some of the things I hope for in this life. It's amazing how endless the possibilities seem, staring out at the city lights from my fifth floor dorm room window, still young and (mostly) independent. In a way, I want it always to be this way...the feeling that the whole world is waiting for me to emerge and take hold of it. But I know it can't be. I've finally reached the turning point where it is nearly time to either take action, or settle into a routine that will merely pass away the time as it is frequently done; working, looking for temporary fulfillment, wishing for things but knowing they can never come about. As much as I would like childhood to have continued, I am refusing to pretend things are still the same. I want things to happen in my life. I don't want to go through the motions. This is what I want to do (small and big, of great and little value, practical and frivolous).




matter

go on a trip to build wells in Uganda

graduate college

learn to play guitar well

marry

overcome something great

waste no time...use every minute

get off medication

change someone's life for the better

write a song

become a good runner

live outside the country for a year or so

think of myself last

conquer my intense fear of insects

love recklessly

have a good life story

do something daring

...more to come xD

1 comment:

  1. Britta, that's so great to see your goals! I love dreaming about the future. It's very inspiring. :) And you are well on your way to fulfilling them, because you already 1) MATTER! so much!, 2) have changed someone's life for the better - I think every girl on our floor has been blessed by getting to know you, and 3) you do have a good life story because it's your STORY about what has made you who you are, and you are great.

    ReplyDelete