Sunday, May 17, 2009

suffering produces perseverence; perseverence, character; and character, hope

Exactly one year ago marks a time in my life where I was probably the most depressed I've ever been. It's not happy to look back on, but necessary because I am so in awe. I remember crying several times a day, wanting only to sleep as much away as I could because it was worse to be awake. It was an internal torture I had never known before, and had little hope of shaking off. What was a matter of weeks felt like a year, and I didn't know if anyone could understand what I felt. Now I am absolutely stunned to think that God would think me valuable enough to bother with, that a year later I have so much cause to praise Him. I can't believe how vastly different life looks and how much hope He's given me. I didn't know what depression was before, I had no idea. If mine was short-lived, I have only a fraction of understanding for those who suffer so much more, but now it is something I care about and can empathize with, and I think God might use my experience to benefit other people...but even if that's not how He chooses to use it, I will admit it was worthwhile if only to give me even more cause to praise Him. If I think I get God, He does something so out there to show me I don't know the half of it. Usually my response for the duration is "why? what are you doing?", but I get to praise Him for much much longer once the storm has passed.

{my visual interpretation of hope}

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Britta. I love your thoughts and those pictures, too. This makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete